Healthy Harvest Casserole Recipe
5 tablespoons butter
1 jumbo onion (about 1 pound), cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 medium carrots (about 1 pound), peeled and thinly sliced
1 small rutabaga (about 1 pound), peeled, cut into quarters. and thinly sliced
3 tablespoon of gluten free flour (King Arthur)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 1/2 cups of milk
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. In nonstick 10-inch skillet, melt 3 tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 15 to 20 minutes stirring often, until golden.
3. In shallow 2 1/2-quart casserole, toss carrots, parsnips, rutabaga, and onion mixture until well combined.
4. Cover casserole and bake 45 minutes, or until vegetables are fork-tender.
5. Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, melt remaining 2 tbsp. of butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
6. Gradually stir milk into flour mixture in saucepan; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens slightly and boils.
7. Stir sauce into vegetables. sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese evenly on top. Bake casserole, uncovered, 15 minutes longer, or until sauce is bubbly on top is golden brown. To serve sprinkle with parsley.